Critical Need for this Technology
High energy-density energy storage technologies are key to the ambitious societal aspirations of the 21st century for a cleaner environment. Safe electric propulsion for terrestrial or aerial vehicles and energy storage for utilities are key tenets of clean, renewable energy. Lithium ion batteries are the lead contender to fulfill these objectives, but current systems cannot fully support these expectations.
Solid-state batteries are widely considered to be the next generation of lithium ion battery technology with energy densities above 350 Wh/kg. This next generation battery will be rapidly adopted by the space, military and drone markets. In the mid-term time frame, solid state batteries will be embraced for portable electronics and niche aviation. In the long term, as this technology inevitably advances into commodity batteries, it will make its way into mainstream markets including EVs.
Remarkable societal, environmental and scientific breakthroughs will emerge from the success of developing safer and more energetic batteries which will lead to better paying and more rewarding jobs. These batteries will usher in the ubiquitous use of renewable energy which will promote a cleaner environment.
Supplemental Need for this Technology
Solid-state batteries are safer (i.e. nonflammable), can be charged faster, and deliver more than twice higher energy densities than the current Li-ion batteries with liquid electrolyte. Despite their potential, solid-state batteries have not become yet widely available commercially because of difficulties in obtaining a highly-conductive solid electrolyte that meets performance and safety requirements for commercial applications.
- Quantumscape – developing next-generation oxide ceramic solid-state lithium-metal batteries for use in electric vehicles. QS is on a mission to change the paradigm in energy storage by developing a completely new class of electrical energy storage device.
- Solid Power – Solid Power is an industry-leading developer of sulfide based all solid-state batteries. SP solid-state batteries provide a major improvement in energy density, safety, and reliability compared to the best Li-ion cells available.
- Prologium – Lithium Ceramic Battery (LCB) manufacturer with mass production capacity. LCB featured ultra-safe, ultra-thin, dynamic bending, wider operation windows, high voltage and fast charging.
Conservative industry projections from Avicenne (OG Analysis, 2019) suggest that the annual Li-ion global market demand is expected to grow 6.5 times by 2030, driven mainly by the electrification of passenger vehicles. Post 2030, forecasts are more nebulous, but the current industry consensus is that solid state batteries will replace the liquid-based commodity lithium-ion cells and provide inherently safer batteries with double the energy density. According to a Research Nester 2021 market report, the solid-state battery market is forecast to accelerate growth with a CAGR of 45% over the next 10 to 20 years. Piersica develops technology and batteries which will enter space, military, electronics, power tools, EV as well as electric aircraft markets. Large OEMs such as Fiat Chrysler and Black and Decker have already shown interest in our early tech.
Piersica leverages its proprietary ultra-light solid polymer separator with a fiber enabled high rate lithium metal anode to prototype battery cells with an energy density above 600 Wh/kg or more than 2x legacy commercial lithium ion.
R & D Status of Project
Piersica has engineering grade samples of the separator material and plans reach similar readiness level for its anode by early next year.
- Claudiu Bucur (CEO/Founder): 15+ years’ experience in the battery industry leading various R&D battery groups at large OEMs such as Toyota and GWM /SVOLT.
- David Jacobs, MBA (Business Development): Wharton School MBA, 3 successful previous startups, director and VP positions at Credit Suisse and Deutsche Bank, 10+ years’ Wall Street
- John Shelburne (Product Development): VP Hybrid Kinetics, Dir. of PD Oakridge Global Energy, Porous Power and Altairnano; was with Bellcore/IBM, original Skunkworks
- Bob Gaylen, MS (Technology Advisor: NAATBatt/SAE (CTO); CTO of CATL (world’s largest battery co.), Chief Engineer GM EV1
- Tom Schneberger, BsChE, MBA (Business Development Advisor: PQ Corp. Business Strategy/ Growth; COO Livent; FMC, General Chemical, Rhodia
- Hassan Rmaile, MBA (Business Development Advisor: Avery Dennison (Global VP); 15+ years’ experience in business leadership and development roles
Primary industry: energy, lithium ion battery
Category (i.e. tech keywords): solid-state battery
Estimated annual revenue: pre-revenue
Social challenge: enabling wide access to cheap energy
R&D commercial collaborator: Synthonix, Matregenix